Keeping Kitty Safe Over the Fourth!
The Fourth of July can be a very scary time for your pets – especially cats. They don’t like loud noises so fireworks can create a very stressful time for our babies.
Here are some ways you can help your kitty be and feel safe during the festivities:
- Give kitty a safe place to hide and rest during a party or fireworks display. Set him or her up in a quiet room with food, water, litter box, and bedding. Turn out the lights, cover the windows, and play soothing music to block out the sights and sounds.
- Don’t leave anxious cats home alone; rather, stay nearby to provide petting and verbal reassurance. Keep in mind that anxious cats may become aggressive.
- Pressure-based garments like the Thundershirt can help your cat stay calm during fireworks displays or other noisy events.
- Consider using Feliway, an all-natural feline pheromone, to sooth your cat’s anxiety.
- In order to make sure that your cat is safe, place them in a room inside and always have a break-away collar with an attached ID tag containing up-to-date information about them, just in case they panic and run away during all the noise. If you think there is a real chance that your cat will escape, consider putting them in their carrier during your party, or at least while fireworks are going off. The noise from the fireworks could be disorienting and frightening to a cat who gets outdoors.
- For extreme cases of fireworks fear in cats, anti-anxiety medication may be needed. You should consult with your veterinarian to determine if this would be a good option for your cat.
that your kitties are safe and remain stress-free during the festivities.